I believe that pregnancy reflexology is excellent for supporting pregnant women and helping to maintain a balance during the rapid changes of pregnancy. Many pregnancy-related conditions may respond well to reflexology such as:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Constipation / Diarrhoea / Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Cramps in the legs
- Frequency of micturition / Cystitis / Urinary Tract Infection
- Groin pain / round ligament pain
- Itchy skin
- Mood swings
- Oedema (moderate swelling of the ankles and hands)
- Rib pain
- Symphysis Pubis Disorder (SPD) or Pelvic Disorder Syndrome (PDS)
- Varicose veins
- Vomiting – Morning sickness
Is reflexology successful at inducing labour?
Reflexology may be very successful for labour induction. I use special labour priming techniques intended to:
- stimulate the pituitary and hypothalamus reflexes
- ‘aggravate’ the digestive system. Have you ever had someone suggest you to eat a hot curry to bring on labour? This may have the same effect.
- stimulate the internal pelvic reflex zones
- shake up your hip and pelvis reflexes giving the same effect as bouncing on a birthing ball or doing low squats
- stimulate the accupressure points known to encourage labour
I incorporate lots of relaxing massage movements into the treatment to soothe you as reflexology induction is not comfortable but don’t be put off as it will almost certainly be more comfortable than a medical induction.
I can show you the reflexes used to stimulate labour and draw these for you on a footchart to take home so that you and your partner can continue to work on them, if you haven’t gone into labour by then!
Please note that I WILL NOT use these labour priming techniques until you are 40 weeks pregnant. Please contact me to discuss your situation.
Symphysis Pubis Disorder (SPD) or Pelvic Disorder Syndrome (PDS)
Reflexology may be very effective when treating women suffering from SPD (or PDS as it is sometimes known). Many clients I have treated with this condition have said they have felt a dramatic improvement within days. I incorporate alot of relaxing, soothing massage into the treatment with the intention to alleviate pain and stress as this can be a very debilitating condition.
The treatment needs to be carried out on three consecutive days. If it is not possible for you to visit this number of times I can draw the specific reflex point onto your feet and you or your partner can continue to stimulate the reflex at home.